print logo
Main Content Anchor


General Questions

Who is eligible to apply?

Our solicitation is open to residents, businesses, public agencies, and other entities who plan to purchase and operate new, lower-emission equipment in Sac County. 

Do I need to replace existing equipment to be eligible for funding?

Most projects are scrap-and-replace projects except for infrastructure projects.

When does the application period open? 

Applications will become available online starting November 1, 2022.

When does the application period close?

The application period will remain open until all funds are allocated or until the Air District decides to close or modify the program.

Where can I apply?

Applications will now be submitted online:

Can we submit a paper application?

We are encouraging everyone to submit an electronic application for faster processing. Please contact us at with any questions. 

How many applications are we allowed to submit?

You can apply for as many legitimate projects as you wish but only one application is needed per location per project category. For example, you would submit one on-road application for five (5) vehicles domiciled in the same location. 

How can I apply for multiple vehicles/equipment?

Please fill out the Multiple Equipment Spreadsheet (Excel) and attach it to your online application. 

What programs will be available for this solicitation? 

Three programs - Community Air Protection (CAP) Incentives Program, Carl Moyer Program, and Funding Agricultural Replacement Measures for Emission Reductions (FARMER) - make up most of this year's funding.

Can I co-fund (stack) my project with outside funding sources? Which funding sources are eligible? 

In general, federal and other public funds can be stacked with our local funds. However, fleets cannot combine HVIP vouchers with our local funds at this time. To ensure transparency, contact us at to verify co-funding eligibility for your project. Please note that private-sector projects will be required to provide a 15% cost share. 

What happens if we don't know which program we should be applying for? 

Staff will find the best match for your project and reach out with any questions.

How can I check if my project is in a disadvantaged community (DAC)?

DACs should be identified using the CalEnviroScreen 4.0 web tool:

How can I check if my project is in an AB 1390-designated community?

AB 1390 communities should be identified using the AB 1390 policy (refer to the "AB 1390 Qualifying Census Tracts" section at the end of the document) and associated census tract numbers:

What does it mean to "serve" or "benefit" a disadvantaged community (DAC)?

Vehicles that have regular routes through a DAC or make frequent stops in a DAC serve or benefit the community with reduced pollution. If the equipment does NOT operate in or through a DAC, then it is not eligible for priority funding but may still receive funding. 

What address do I give if my vehicle has a regular route through a disadvantaged community (DAC)?

Please enter a DAC address associated with the route or stop (e.g., customer location, cross streets on the route, or school site).

Is SECAT part of this solicitation?

No. SECAT will reopen sometime next year. 

Will lawn and garden (L&G) equipment be eligible for funding?

No. The Sac Metro Air District plans to have a dedicated L&G program Spring of next year. 

Do staff work with applicants after applying, or before? 

Staff can assist before and after. Please contact us at

What is the estimated timeline for project selection?

Staff will review projects continuously. Timelines will vary depending on the application submittal date and the volume of applicants. 

Where can I find more information regarding this year's solicitation?

Please refer to our 2022 Community Air Quality Grant Manual for additional information.

On-Road Project Category

What vehicles are eligible for funding?

Class 4 through Class 8 (GVWR > 14,000 lbs.) vehicles are eligible for funding and must be replaced with zero or near-zero-emission vehicles. Existing vehicles must be domiciled at a physical location in Sac County and must comply with air quality rules and regulations (e.g., Truck and Bus Regulation). 

What are the warranty requirements for on-road vehicles?

All participants must purchase a major component engine/motor warranty for the replacement new or used vehicle. 

    • Electric vehicles (excluding school buses), hybrid vehicles, and conversion systems must have a minimum warranty period of 3 years or 50,000 miles. The warranty must cover the engine (if applicable) or motor, drivetrain, battery or energy storage, and parts and labor (including any part of the converted vehicle or engine that is damaged by the hybrid conversion system).
    • For zero-emission school buses, the vendor warranty must provide protection for a minimum of 60 months or 75,000 miles, whichever comes first, and provide full warranty coverage of, at a minimum, zero-emission or all-electric motor, drive train, batteries/energy storage system(s), and parts and labor. Warranties must be fully transferrable to subsequent school bus purchasers for the full warranty coverage period. Warranties must cover the following for the full warranty period (unless otherwise noted):
        • Extended Motor, Drivetrain (including Battery), and Zero-Emission Components: Provide warranty coverage against defects in material and workmanship for the motor, transmission, rear axle, and electric or zero-emission system components including the battery. Gaskets and seals are not required to be included under the warranty coverage. 
        • Frame Rails, Cross Members, and Cab: For new school buses, coverage extends to structural cracks in the frame caused by defects in material workmanship and against corrosion perforation of the cab. For school bus conversions, the all-electric school bus vendor is only responsible for damage or corrosion tied to, or resulting from, their workmanship on, or handling of, these parts. 
        • Battery Degradation Warranty: Provide warranty coverage against battery degradation below 80 percent capacity. 
    • All other new or used replacement vehicles not listed above must have a major component engine warranty. The warranty must cover parts and labor. If the purchase of a new or used replacement vehicle is in accordance with currently required warranty periods or warranty requirements for newer engine model years as specified in the Heavy-Duty Low NOx Omnibus Regulation, then a separate supplemental warranty is not required. However, it is recommended that the highest grade warranty be purchased in order to avoid expensive repairs in the future. 
    • No program funds will be issued for maintenance or repairs related to the operation of the vehicle. The participant takes sole responsibility for ensuring that the vehicle is in operational condition throughout the agreement period. For more information, please review Chapter 4 of the Carl Moyer Guidelines.

How can I estimate on-road grant amounts under this program?

The On-Road Grant Calculator provided by CARB is a great tool to estimate grant amounts under the Carl Moyer Program.  For heavy-duty trucks, the project life (contract term) is usually 5 years. The project life for school buses is 5-10 years. Please note that this is only an estimate and does not guarantee project funding. A more thorough application evaluation is conducted by the Sac Metro Air District once an application is submitted. 

Are gas hybrid vehicles included in this solicitation?

Currently, light-duty vehicles do not qualify. 

Can I apply for heavy-duty trucks and charging/fueling stations at the same time?

Funding can cover trucks and chargers if an on-road and infrastructure applications are submitted.

Are terminal tractors included under heavy-duty diesel trucks (HDDT)?

Provided they are registered and titled with DMV as on-road vehicles, yes. 

Are repowers and retrofits available for funding?


Where can I learn more about the on-road application? 

Please refer to our On-Road Incentives Guide.

Off-Road Project Category

What off-road equipment is eligible for funding?

Most off-road mobile or stationary equipment with engines greater than or equal to 25 horsepower are eligible for funding. Agricultural tractors with less than 25 horsepower are eligible to be replaced with zero-emission utility terrain vehicles (UTVs). For specific equipment eligibility, please contact us at

Can I still apply if I operate farm equipment in different counties?

Yes, only if the equipment is located and operates primarily in Sac County. 

Are repowers and retrofits available for funding?

Repower and retrofit applications will only be accepted for locomotives.

For off-road heavy-duty equipment for which electric-only replacements are not an option, which funding avenue is the best option?

We have multiple funding streams, and our staff will determine the best funding streams for the project.

Can small, full-electric front-end loaders or small zero-emission excavators be allowed in FARMER?

Yes. Provided they are involved in agricultural operations, otherwise, they qualify under the Carl Moyer or Community Air Protection Program.

Are stationary diesel ag pumps eligible to be replaced by electric pumps for irrigation? 

If the ag pumps are in Sacramento County, please email us at to discuss the project.

Are utility terrain vehicles (UTVs) eligible for funding?

Only electric UTVs used for agricultural operations are eligible for funding under the FARMER program.

Where can I learn more about the off-road application?

Please refer to our Off-Road Incentives Guide

Infrastructure Project Category

What projects fall under the infrastructure category?

Current projects include non-residential battery charging stations, and hydrogen and natural gas fueling stations.

Who is eligible to apply?

Public and private entities are eligible to apply provided that the infrastructure is situated in Sac County.

What is Rule and Regulation 16 and to whom does it apply?

Most infrastructure projects require extensive electrical service upgrades that the utility provider must evaluate under Rule and Regulation 16 (and/or other applicable regulations). Applicants must show they filed an application and paid the fee for Rule 16 determination OR documentation showing the project is exempt from Rule 16 requirements. Please contact your utility service provider for more information. 

What costs are covered by this funding?

Eligible costs are limited to purchasing and installing the equipment for power delivery or fueling directly related to the project. These include cost design and engineering, equipment, and installation. Please refer to our infrastructure incentives webpage for a full list of eligible and ineligible costs. 

Is there funding available for residential battery charging stations?

No, except for public charging stations (Level 2 or higher) for multi-unit dwellings. Such projects are considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us at with any questions. 

Where can I find other funding opportunities or resources?

You can find more resources on our infrastructure incentives webpage. Additionally, consider contacting your local utility provider to check for other incentive opportunities. SMUD currently offers rebates and incentive opportunities for the purchase of electric vehicles and/or chargers. To learn more, please click here

Can I apply for infrastructure at two or more locations?

Yes. Please submit a separate infrastructure application for each location.

Will heavy-duty EV charging stations that will only be available for internal use (forklifts and other port-related machinery) qualify?

Yes. Both infrastructure and vehicle qualify, private or otherwise.

Can I apply for heavy-duty trucks and charging/fueling stations at the same time?

Yes. Funding can cover both trucks and chargers if both an on-road application and an infrastructure application are submitted. 

Where can I learn more about the infrastructure application?

Please refer to our Infrastructure Incentives Guide.

Supporting Page
Back to Top