print logo
Main Content Anchor

Agricultural Diesel Engines

​​The Sac Metro Air District administers an Agricultural Engine Registration program.  Effective May 19, 2011, the State of California amended the Airborne Toxic Control Measure for Stationary Compression Ignition Engines (ATCM) to include requirements for stationary and portable diesel-fueled engines used exclusively in agriculture. These engines are usually used for activities such as pumping water or providing power for the growing of crops or raising of livestock. The ATCM applies to all new and used in-use engines. 

Who Needs a Permit?

  • A registration is required for all diesel powered (stationary and portable) engines that are rated 50 HP and above.

  • A registration is NOT required for engines that are self-propelled (tractors) or agricultural wind machines.

Registration Fees

  • Fees are based on the size of the engine and whether or not the engine is equipped with a control device. See section 301 of Rule 311.

Registration Renewal

  • Annual renewal fees are required to maintain the registration. See section 302 of Rule 311 for renewal fees.

 Documents / Forms



08-04 Agricultural Engine Requirements 08-04 ag engine advisory revised.pdf08-04 Agricultural Engine RequirementsAdvisories -2008
14-02 Agricultural Engines 14-02 Tier 4 Ag Engines.pdf14-02 Agricultural EnginesAdvisories -2014
Agricultural Engines Registration form Engine registration form.pdfAgricultural Engines Registration formPermit Application Forms

Related Rules

Rule Date Last Amended
Permitting Page
Back to Top