print logo
Main Content Anchor

Carbon Adsorption Unit

​​​Carbon adsorption systems use carbon filters to capture emissions from processes to remove harmful VOCs.  Carbon adsorption systems are often used at waste water treatment facilities and other odorous operations.

Who Needs a Permit?

  • A permit is required for all systems ​which would emit any pollutant, without the benefit of the filter system emit, greater than or equal to 2 pounds in any 24 hours period.

Permit Fees 

New Installations: 

  • Use Schedule 2 (see Rule 301, Section 308.2).  Fees are based on the size of the electric motor powering the blower.   Use the Initial Permit Fee column for new installations or equipment not previously permitted.


  • For modifications of permitted equipment resulting in an increase in blower rating, the fee is assessed in accordance with fee schedule 2 (see Rule 301, Section 308.2) based on the incremental increase in horsepower of the electrical motor.

  • For modifications resulting in no increase in rating, the fee shall be based on Rule 301, Section 306.2.

Equipment Installed Without an Authority to Construct: 

As per Section 302.1 of Rule 301, any person installing/operating regulated equipment without obtaining a permit from the Sac Metro Air District first, will be required to pay permit renewal back fees for each year of unpermitted operation, to a maximum of 3 years, in addition to the initial permit fee. 

Permit Application Completeness Determination

An application will not be accepted for processing until it is deemed complete. The following will be required in order for the Sac Metro Air District to make a completeness determination.

  • Completed application Forms G100, G101, CA100 and HRA100 with the original signature of the owner/proprietor or responsible officer of the company.

  • Applicable permit fee in accordance with Rule 301.

  • Any additional information that may be requested in order to perform a health risk assessment or to better understand the process or the applicability of regulations.

 Documents / Forms



Application Instructions - CA100 Instructions - CA100.pdfApplication Instructions - CA100Application Instructions
CA100 - Carbon Adsorption Unit - Carbon Adsorption UnitPermit Application Forms
G100 - General Application Form - General Application FormPermit Application Forms
G101 - General Information - General InformationPermit Application Forms
HRA100 - Health Risk Assessment Form - Health Risk Assessment FormPermit Application Forms

Related Rules

Rule Date Last Amended
Permitting Page
Back to Top