print logo
Main Content Anchor

Internal Combustion Engines

​Internal Combustion (IC) engines generate power by burning liquid fuel.  IC engines are found in a variety of industries, generating electrical power, pumping gas or other fluids or to compress air for pneumatic machinery.  IC engines generate emissions by the combustion of liquid fuel.  Petroleum fuels and biodiesels produce emissions regulated by ​Sac Metro Air District.

Who Needs a Permit?

  • A permit is required for all IC Engines with a maximum rating greater than 50 brake-horsepower.

  • Engines 50 brake-horsepower or less may not be exempt if they are part of a process that requires a permit from Sac Metro Air District.  In that case, the engine will be permitted as part of the permitted process and will not need its own permit.

  • Portable engines with valid CARB PERP registration are not required to obtain a permit from the ​Sac Metro Air District provided the owner/operator is complying with all the requirements of the PERP registration and the engines is not operating as part of a stationary source as determined by Sac Metro Air District.

  • Agricultural engines may be required to obtain a permit or registration. For more information click Here.

Permit Fees 

New Installations:  Use Schedule 7 (see Rule 301, Section 308.8).  Fees are based on the total rated horsepower of the engine.   Use the Initial Permit Fee column for new installations or equipment not previously permitted.


  • For modifications of permitted equipment resulting in an increase in horsepower the fee is assessed in accordance with fee schedule 7 (see Rule 301, Section 308.8)based on the incremental increase in horsepower resulting from such change.

  • For modifications resulting in no increase in rating, the fee shall be based on Rule 301, Section 306.2.

Equipment Installed Without an Authority to Construct:  As per Section 302.1 of Rule 301, any person installing/operating regulated equipment without obtaining a permit from the Sac Metro Air District first, will be required to pay permit renewal back fees for each year of unpermitted operation, to a maximum of 3 years, in addition to the initial permit fee. 

Permit Application Completeness Determination

An application will not be accepted for processing until it is deemed complete. The following will be required in order for the Sac Metro Air District to make a completeness determination.

  • Completed application Forms G100, G101, ICE100 and HRA100. with the original signature of the owner/proprietor or responsible officer of the company.

  • Applicable permit fee in accordance with Rule 301.

  • Any additional information that may be requested in order to perform a health risk assessment or to better understand the process or the applicability of regulations.


 Documents / Forms

Related Rules

Rule Date Last Amended
Permitting Page
Back to Top