print logo
Main Content Anchor


Filing an Air Quality Complaint

The Sac Metro Air District investigates complaints related to dust, smoke, odors, overspray, and other potential air quality permit and rule violations.  Complaints can be filed online using the form below or by calling 279-207-1122  or 800-880-9025. 

When filing a complaint, please have the following information ready:

  • A specific description of the problem. Is it an odor, smoke, or dust?
  • The location of the problem including address and cross streets, if known
  • Who is causing the problem, if known?
  • The time the problem occurs, including time of day and frequency
  • The wind direction
  • The duration of the problem

Rendering Plant Complaints 

Sac Metro Air District is aware that rendering odor is detected in the surrounding areas near the Sacramento Rendering Company (SRC).  Complaints about abnormally high odors assist Sac Metro Air District enforce permit conditions. To file a complaint about the rendering odor, follow the same procedure described in the section above. Please include where the odor was detected (i.e., your address, local park name, neighborhood street intersection). The best practice is to submit a complaint when you are smelling the odor. 

For more information regarding SRC emissions and our jurisdiction, please read the following documents:

Past District Actions

Leaf Blower Complaints 

Leaf Blowers can be a concern for air quality and people exposed to the emissions and dust from their use. For this reason, the City of Sacramento passed a Leaf Blower Ordinance to limit their use within the City of Sacramento boundaries on days of poor air quality. The Sac Metro Air District has put together a Frequently Asked Questions document (click here) to answer some general questions related to leaf blowers and how to access air quality information to comply with the City of Sacramento's ordinance. ​

For additional information regarding the City of Sacramento Leaf Blower Ordinance and how to file complaints directly with them, refer to the City's FAQ (click here). The FAQ is available in Spanish (click here).

For information regarding Sac Metro Air District's regulatory authority over leaf blowers (click here)

Outdoor Burning Complaints

Smoke from outdoor burning contributes to air pollution and can be harmful to our health.  Outdoor burning is limited in Sacramento County by several regulations. For more information on the Sac Metro Air District Outdoor Burning program, click here.

If you have concerns or see something that might be a violation, file a complete by following the steps above or call 279-207-1122 ext. 11 to talk to program staff. 

Complaints for Other Agencies

​Idling Heavy Duty Vehicles

Call the City of Sacramento to report heavy duty vehicles idling in excess of Sacramento City ordinance at 311 (toll-free* when calling within city limits) or (916) 264-5011 when calling from outside the City of Sacramento.

*Cellular service providers may charge for air time

Smoking Vehicles

Call the California Air Resources Board to report smoking vehicles at (800) 363-7664 or visit Smoking Vehicle Complaint Program on their website.

​File a Complaint Online

Supporting Form Page
Back to Top