print logo
Main Content Anchor

Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP)

PERP is a statewide program created by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to register portable equipment and engines designed to move from one location to another throughout California. CARB issues the PERP registrations, and the Sac Metro Air District (District) enforces the program's requirements in Sacramento County. For more information on how to apply for a PERP registration, fees, and other requirements, please visit CARB's PERP website.

For more information on how to operate under the PERP program, watch the presentation hosted by the Clean Air Partnership Technical Advisory Committee ​​below:


For additional questions on PERP, please contact the Sac Metro Air District at 279-207-1122 ext. 14, or email​.​

​​​​PERP Inspections and Notifications


​If your equipment is home-districted in Sacramento County, you must contact Sac Metro Air District to schedule an inspection within 45 days of receiving your new or renewed PERP registration. 


If a registered equipment unit will remain at a location within Sacramento County for more than five (5) days, you must notify the Sac Metro Air District within two (2) days of starting operations. 


Submit an Inspection Request or Notification:

  1. Email

  2. Call 279-207-1122 ext. 14 (Toll-Free: 1-800-880-9025) to schedule the inspection.

  3. Request an inspection using CARB's online notification site. ​

​Frequently Asked Questions



Can I use a PERP generator to charge my electric vehicles or to run a hydrogen fueling system?Can I use a PERP generator to charge my electric vehicles or to run a hydrogen fueling system?<p>​​No they require utility power, but PERP may be allowed in some situations like an emergency outage. Contact us at <a href="" target="_blank"></a> to discuss how to avoid a violation​.<br></p>
Is PERP optional?Is PERP optional?<p>​PERP is an optional program. However, a district permit may still be mandatory in some situations, regardless of whether the equipment or engine has an active PERP registration.​<br></p>
What is eligible for PERP?What is eligible for PERP?<p></p><span style="background-color:#e6e6e6;color:#000000;"><p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:7.5pt;line-height:normal;"><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">Portable Engines rated 50 horsepower(hp) or greater and portable equipment units that emit particulate matter greater than 2.0 pounds per day must have PERP registration or a District permit to operate in Sacramento County. This includes engines powered by diesel, gasoline, propane, and other fuel types.</span></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:7.5pt;line-height:normal;"><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">Examples of portable equipment units, portable engines, and engine-driven equipment that may be eligible for PERP include but are not limited to:</span></p><ul><li><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">portable generator rated 50 hp or greater</span></li><li><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">portable air compressor powered by a 50 hp or greater engine</span></li><li><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">rock crushing & screening units</span></li><li><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">portable concrete batch plants</span></li><li><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">abrasive blasting units</span></li><li><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">wood - chippers</span></li><li><span style="font-size:12pt;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">street sweepers with an auxiliary engine (powering the sweeper)</span></li></ul></p></span>
What is not eligible for PERP?What is not eligible for PERP?<p><span style="font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:107%;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;color:#121212;"></span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:107%;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;color:#121212;"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:107%;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;color:#121212;">PERP registered equipment may not operate as part of a stationary source or a facility that has District permits.  For more information about what is considered a stationary source and the permitting process </span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:107%;font-family:calibri, sans-serif;"><a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=daa912b4-bd40-4aee-b24a-18038b7ec462&TermSetId=86f19943-ba4b-4973-93fd-2cccca555f2d&TermId=7990a3c0-474a-48b0-9ce8-34efc1338315" target="_blank"><span style="font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">click here</span><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">​</span></a></span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:107%;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;color:#121212;">.</span>​</span></span><br></p>
What is the regulation for PERP engine phase out dates based on Tier?What is the regulation for PERP engine phase out dates based on Tier?<p><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:107%;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">​PERP equipment must comply with CARB's  Portable Engine <a href="" target="_blank">Air Toxic Control Measure</a> (ATCM). This ATCM has phase-out dates for Tier 1, 2, and 3 - diesel-fueled engines. Engines that are phased out per the ATCM will no longer be eligible for a PERP registration or a District permit.</span></p><p><br></p><p><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:107%;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;"></span><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:107%;font-family:"source sans pro", sans-serif;">For specific engine tier information, please contact <a href="" target="_blank"></a>.</span>​​</p>



Portable Equipment Recordkeeping form Equipment Recordkeeping formRecordkeeping Forms
19-04 Portable Engine ATCM Deadlines 19-04 Portable Engine ATCM Deadlines.pdf19-04 Portable Engine ATCM DeadlinesAdvisories -2019

Supporting Page
Back to Top